I'VE MOVED... over to http://mahinui.wordpress.com/. Please change your bookmark and/or Bloglines subscription, and follow me over. Subscribe with Bloglines

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Warburton Rail Trail, finally...

After living in Seville for three months, it was about time I checked out the Warburton Rail Trail. It was also about time I did a weekend "long slow run", as I'd long since run out of excuses.

I'd planned to do an out-and-back run: out for 55 minutes, have a 5 minute break, then head back - allowing 60 minutes - for a 2 hour run. So out the gate, down to the trail, and head west towards Wandin.

Very strange running without a map in my hand! What do I do with my arm??!

Felt okay, only after a short while I was struggling and the ticker was clocking up 165 bpm. Looked at the trail a bit closer and IT'S UPHILL! A gradual incidious slope that sucks your energy. I had trouble running slower to keep the HR under 160 (my goal for the run), so had walking breaks every km or so.

Arrived in Mt Evelyn in just over 60 minutes. Had a brief break, but the walking breaks meant that I didn't really need it. Downhill nearly all the way back (yipee!) but knees hurting almost the whole way. My pace was almost slower on the way back because of my knees - a bruising sort of pain at the base of the kneecap, and hard to "run through". Once or twice a knee threatened to give way, and I stopped for some gentle knee bends. Lots of walking breaks too, dammit. Hopefully nothing serious, but writing this now almost 12 hours later, they're still tender.

Home in just over 2 hours, for 17.6 kms.

No comments: