I'VE MOVED... over to http://mahinui.wordpress.com/. Please change your bookmark and/or Bloglines subscription, and follow me over. Subscribe with Bloglines

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Street-O @ Darebin Parklands Extension

Slow one tonight - still very hot at 7pm: 31.6°C.

As I set off down the road, a group of young girls asked me what I was doing. As I wasn't exactly hurrying, I stopped to explain. I then headed off to my first control, and came back the same way. They came up to me as I approached them and asked whether I'd found it. So I showed them the map and the punch mark on my control card, and suggested that they walk with me to the next control, just up the road. No, that was a bit scary, so I left them there. Several other young children in the area were also interested/curious in what we were all doing.

I actually quite enjoy interacting with kids in that way. They're likeable, and comfortable talking to adults. It gives me hope for the future... especially as I won't be adding to the population myself.

Walked steadily around most of the rest of the course until I hit #16 and the rough track along the river. It was rapidly getting darker, and when I came to where #19 was marked, I couldn't see it anywhere. The clue was "tree"... like that narrowed it down. Not. It was too dark to spend more than a few minutes looking for it, so I missed out on 5 points. I then had to scramble up a steep bank to get to the road before I lost the light completely!

Got the "sugar shakes" at the top of the bank, and was relieved to get back to the car for my gatorade, and end-of-season supper of fruit cake, Lynn's chocolate brownie slice, and a few grapes. Home via McDonalds because I was still feeling a bit shakey. Nothing like grease, salt, and a Coke to sort things out, hah hah.

6.1 km

No comments: