I'VE MOVED... over to http://mahinui.wordpress.com/. Please change your bookmark and/or Bloglines subscription, and follow me over. Subscribe with Bloglines

Monday, April 11, 2005

Goals

Gotta have goals, right, otherwise you don't know how you're tracking. SMART goals - Simple, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. Something like that anyway - my previous manager (complete cow) was a great fan of SMART goals.

Goal #1: develop cycle strength. Be able to competitively complete a MTB-O course 2 (Women's A) by the end of the season.

Last weekend I did Women's B, which was 16 kms. The Women's A course is around 20 kms, so not a big jump. How to get in the miles though, to build up strength. Maybe Spin classes at the gym? Never done one before.

Goal #2: improve endurance. Be able to run most (if not all) of a W35A orienteering course. By the end of the season.

Now this is a big ask! But it would get my times down - things happen so much faster when you run (funny that). I think the legs are strong enough to run cross-country (because they don't ache, either at the time or afterwards). And I don't gasp for breath, so I think the lungs are okay. So that leaves the ticker. How do you improve the heart muscle? Would spin class do double-duty? Guess I'll have to try it, and see.

Goal #3: eat better. Limit junk food (chips, mass-produced crap, etc) to once a week.

Another big ask. :-) Body won't run well on low-quality fuel. Don't touch the "breakfast" that work provides (fairy cakes for breakfast? yeah... you heard it here - our company loves us). I'm never home to cook, so this one's always hard - but with winter coming on, I can throw stuff in the crockpot which'll be ready at 8 or 9pm when I get home.

No comments: