I'VE MOVED... over to http://mahinui.wordpress.com/. Please change your bookmark and/or Bloglines subscription, and follow me over. Subscribe with Bloglines

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

To detox, or not to detox?

Two things conspired against me over the weekend. The first was that I has a nagging headache all day Monday - as well as a complete lack of energy after working physically quite hard over the previous two days. Eating and sleeping was about all I was good for.

The second was that I bought a women's magazine - Madison - after I peeled myself off the couch and outside for some fresh air and a walk to the shops. One of the articles was on a 21-day detox where our heroine not only lost 5kg (nice to have!) but also had a lot more energy.

I've said before that my diet is crap, so I'm wondering if I should do something like this to solve: the energy problem, the headache (which I still have today), and the excess weight (5-10kgs) without which I'm sure I'd run a lot faster. :-)

I'm not going to spend $39.95 on buying the book, but there's enough information in the magazine to get started: stuff like cutting out gluten products, fruit (except bananas) because it's high in sugar, things from the nightshade family (which my Mum is allergic to - relevant perhaps?), red meat (which I don't eat much anyway), dairy (ditto), and all processed stuff (obviously). There's half a page of do's and dont's.

I made a start today by having a high-gluten breakfast (yeah, okay... okay) but without my usual OJ. Herb teas during the morning (more to try and kill the headache), and a rice dish for lunch. Shopping at lunchtime and bought some bananas for work, and some more herb tea. I completely bypassed the yummy cakes at work today - and now they've all gone, so my resolve is still good. Yoga tonight, with probably a protein shake when I get home. Or perhaps I should have coleslaw and leftover rice/lentils instead.

No comments: