I'VE MOVED... over to http://mahinui.wordpress.com/. Please change your bookmark and/or Bloglines subscription, and follow me over. Subscribe with Bloglines

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Street-O @ Norris Bank

I should have known this was going to be a tricky navigation exercise when I missed the turnoff while driving to the event. I took the next left, intending to double back, and found myself in a complex system of dead-end streets.

It didn't get much better once I was out running. There's a nasty little creek running through the middle of the map, which caused a change of plan right from the first control. Then I completely mis-read the creek crossings on the way to my fourth control and ended up doing an extra 500m or so through lumpy grass and waist-high reeds before I decided to back up and go the long way. A couple in front of me took the short way over the creek and made loud splashing noises as they attempted to jump across - and missed. I caught up with their wet footprints a bit later on.

Not a very efficient route choice, but a well-set course with all those nasty surprises.

DistanceAvg paceAvg HR
9.0 km6:11 /km161 bpm (85%)


MotionBased tells me that I spent 2 minutes not moving (standing still). I'd estimate that 1:50 of that was watching two people attempt to jump a creek. That brings my average pace down to 5:59/km (wahoo!)

1 comment:

Spark Driver said...

I would have to agree that getting lost on your way to the starting line is not a good sign.