I'VE MOVED... over to http://mahinui.wordpress.com/. Please change your bookmark and/or Bloglines subscription, and follow me over. Subscribe with Bloglines

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Street-O @ Doncaster Heights

Excellent run, nice cool weather, and the hills just disappeared under my feet. Running really well once I'd warmed up. I was on track for a perfectly-timed finish with about 1km to go and 5 mins to get there, picking up one final control on the way home.

Punched control #16, counted left, left, right, opposite 2nd street on the right. No control. Hmmm, trot up and down the street a bit in case it's been mis-placed (an irritatingly common occurrence by tonight's course setter). Saw a t-intersection just up the road. What's that doing there? Check map - no t-intersections here. Wonder where I am? BUGGER! Head to the intersection and turn right, because it looks like the main road is at the end of it. Turn right at the main road, because I should be east of Home. But what's that big intersection doing there? See another runner heading toward me. Help?! This way, he says, pointing behind me. Huh? Run with him thinking I'm heading west towards Home, then we turn a corner, and I still have no idea where I am until I see the park and the flashing light indicating the finish.

Back 5 minutes late, and I figure out that I should have turned an extra Left after #16, and that instead of heading south, I was actually heading west. Luckily my white knight in a blue t-shirt was there to rescue me!

8.5 km in 6:09 average pace.

2 comments:

Spark Driver said...

Never mind. It was beautiful weather to get lost in :-)

miners said...

Thanks heaps for the comment louise - lovely to know that someone else managed to wade through that drivel.

Hey, when is there going to be a few more threads on CR about your street-O, or some rogaining? I need reminding about how much fun this stuff is!